[CentOS] a peculiar LVM failure on CentOS 6 run as a VMware 5.5 guest

Boris Epstein borepstein at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:45:22 UTC 2015

Hello Leonard,

Thank you very much for your response.

While it most likely is related the problem description provided at the
link seems a bit vague, and tips on how to resolve the issue seem to be
even more so.

I have done some research and in the process stumbled upon this:

http://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/fixing-broken-initrd-image-linux/

The discussion there circled around using mkinitrd (as opposed to dracut
which in my case did not help).

So, while mounted off a Centos DVD ISO I chroot'ed into the root of my
installation on the disk and then ran the following:

mkinitrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.32-573.3.1.el6.x86_64.img 2.6.32-573.3.1

I saved the original content of
/boot/initramfs-2.6.32-573.3.1.el6.x86_64.img too. So now the problem is
resolved, and it is reproducible - it boots with the one I generated but
not with the original one which was the one that got there as a result of
an update.

I have not been able to see what the issue was with the original image.

Cheers,

Boris.