[CentOS] apache mysterious 404 error

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Fri Aug 28 02:08:43 UTC 2015

On 08/28/2015 10:18 AM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>  Just have a question about apache. Hoping to get an opinion on this.
>
>  I've just setup a site under apache 2.4.
>
>  And made sure that the document root setup in the vhost for the site I'm
> serving has permissions for the apache user. Yet some of the files are
> throwing a 404 error in a browser even tho they are clearly present and
> accounted for on the file system.
>
> For example, I'm getting this error:
>
> (index):1 GET http://stage.theshopatmycomany.com/mycomanyStore/images*/altImg.png
> 404 (*Not Found)

A GET request should not include the protocol (http) or hostname
(stage.theshopatmycomany.com).  Also as others pointed out it is
case-sensitive and you cannot use globbing (*) in the request.  Try this:

GET /mycomanystore/images/altImg.png HTTP/1.1
Host: stage.theshopatmycomanystudios.com

(note hit enter twice after the Host: line)

Peter