[CentOS] apache mysterious 404 error

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Fri Aug 28 16:47:43 UTC 2015

In article <CAOZy0enqddiPvpd+M-Ltwih9dPmA7b_ro4-_5bQ=u1GAALDebA at mail.gmail.com>,
Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>  Sorry for the failed attempts at obscuring the company I work for. My boss
> wouldn't take too kindly to it if I revealed that information on a mailing
> list. :)

It's easily deducible from the IP addresses anyway...

> So anyway, I realized that capitalization might be the problem. So I
> renamed the directory to match what was in the URL. That didn't solve the
> problem.
>
> However I noticed this message turning up in the logs:
>
> [Fri Aug 28 01:27:30.057020 2015] [proxy:warn] [pid 23782:tid
> 139661984888576] [client 173.213.212.234:14579] AH01144: No protocol
> handler was valid for the URL /mycompanyStore/images/Jimmy_792x802_R2.jpg.
> If you are using a DSO version of mod_proxy, make sure the proxy submodules
> are included in the configuration using LoadModule., referer:
> http://stage.theshopatmycompanystudios.com/
>
> [...etc...]
>
> So taking the advice of that eror I tried enabling all the proxy modules in
> the apache config:
>

> LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
>
> LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
>
> LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
>
> LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
>
> LoadModule proxy_fcgi_module modules/mod_proxy_fcgi.so
>

> But those files are still 404ing. Not sure where to take it from here. I'd
> appreciate any help you can give!

Well if it's a single web server that you want to serve its own files, it
shouldn't be doing any proxy operations anyway. So rather than enabling
proxy modules, it would be better to understand why it is trying to do a
proxy operation.

It's hard to help further without seeing your http config files in
/etc/http/conf and /etc/http/conf.d. To save space, you can filter out all
comments and blank lines like this:

# grep '^ *[^# ]' /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf /etc/httpd/conf.d/*.conf >/tmp/http-config.txt

That will output all lines that start with zero or more spaces followed by
at least one character that is not a space or a hash. It will also precede
each line with the name of the file it is in.

You can then edit /tmp/http-config.txt with some global replaces if you
want to obscure the domain name and document root names, and post the
result.

Cheers
Tony
--