[CentOS] Shutdown hangs on "Unmounting NFS filesystems"

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Aug 31 00:15:22 UTC 2015

On 08/30/2015 04:45 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 8/30/2015 2:20 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> Once the system gets into this state, the only remedy is a forced
>> power-off.  What seems to be happening is that an NFS filesystem that
>> auto-mounted over a WiFi connection cannot be unmounted because the
>> WiFi connection is enabled only for my login and gets torn down when
>> my UID is logged off.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how I can configure things to avoid this?  I
>> really don't want to expose my WPA2 key by making the connection
>> available to all users.
>
> my experience is A) NFS doesn't like unreliable networks, and B) WiFi
> isn't very reliable.
>
> perhaps using the 'soft' mount option will help, along with intr ?

Making use of the "intr" option would require that the umount process
have the console as its controlling tty.  AFAICT, having been invoked
from the init process, it has _no_ controlling tty.  Hard to send a
SIGINT that way.

Really, I don't think the problem is specific to WiFi.  I believe I'd
run into the same thing for any network connection that was not marked
"Available to all users" in NetworkManager.

                 Do NOT delete it.