[CentOS] Compile for C6 / glibc

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:58:32 UTC 2015

On 08/25/2015 04:22 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> binary compatibility has /never/ been a goal of the linux/gpl
> architects/authors.  in fact, it seems like they make design decisions
> to discourage it.

I don't think that's true.  Development in GNU/Linux is highly
de-centralized, and some projects are better at stability than others.
Linux has maintained an extremely stable interface for user-space
applications.  glibc uses versioned symbols for backward compatibility.
The original question was about forward-compatibility, which is a much
harder problem.

Not all developers do as good a job with backward compatibility, but
that problem is considerably more pronounced in the high level
languages, where versioned libraries just aren't a thing.  And that's
why you see docker and other containers gaining traction, so that
applications can be run in an environment with specific library versions.