[CentOS] why no recent bind update for CentOS 6?

Tue Aug 4 12:06:03 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 07/30/2015 08:00 AM, Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 30.07.2015 um 12:53 schrieb Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>:
>> On 07/30/2015 04:37 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>>
>>> Because we do CR, CentOS users had access to the 6.7 updates a full 3
>>> days before anyone else made them available and CR was released less
>>> than 5 days after the release of RHEL 6.7.
>>>

>> For those interested, here is a bit longer explanation:
>

> Thanks to take the time for this explicit explanation.
> In particular because this "missing piece" resurfaces
> the same discussions. A candidate for the wiki (if not
> already there).

>> That is why I can't just cherry pick a bind update or a libuser update
>> built on the CentOS-6.7 package set and release it in 6.6 or 6.5 or 6.4
>> .. it may or may not work and it may or may not be secure in that
>> environment.
>

> Is it a good idea to reflect this consequently via %{dist} (e.g el5_11 el6_7)??
> This should not conflict with upstreams package versioning. Despite that some
> packages stay on the same version while the distribution is moving forward.
> But it shows the relation like acme.1.el6_4.3 is for 6.4 or higher. Not sure
> if upstream is using it in that conceptual manner: Following upstream listing
> shows some ambiguous %{dist} tags, thought.
>

> httpd-2.2.15-5.el6.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-9.el6.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-9.el6_1.2.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-9.el6_1.3.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-15.el6.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-15.el6_2.1.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-26.el6.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-28.el6_4.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-29.el6_4.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-30.el6_5.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-31.el6_5.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-39.el6.src.rpm
> httpd-2.2.15-45.el6.src.rpm

Normally, Red Hat uses longer dist tags (.el6_5, .el7_1, etc) for
updates that happen between point releases.  So, if they do an update
after the RHEL 6.7 release, before they release 6.8, it will likely have
a dist tag of .el6_7

For releases that happen on a point release (ie, for the 6.7 GA release)
.. OR into their FasTrack repo, they normally use .el6  (or .el7, etc).

CentOS Linux normally also follows the upstream dist tags, except for
packages where we make changes, where we use .el6.centos on those to
denote we have modified them.