[CentOS] CentOS-6, SELInux, Ruby-on-Rails, Passenger and Kernel-2.6.32

Thu Aug 13 14:12:03 UTC 2015
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

We run a project administration system web application call 'Redmine'.
 I have been trying for ages, without success, to get SELinux and
Passenger -- essentially a fast-cgi replacement Apache module built
specifically for Rails -- to run together.

I have found that the latest versions of the Passenger Apache module
are supposed to work on CentOS-6, but not with the stock kernel.

See:
https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/walkthroughs/deploy/ruby/ownserver/apache/oss/el6/install_passenger.html#step-1:-upgrade-your-kernel,-or-disable-selinux

My questions are: Are there really really grave implications of using
the kernel-ml form epel repo to get a sufficiently modern kernel to
finally get Passenger and SELinux to work together?  And are those
implications more grave than simply disabling SELinux on that server
entirely, which is the only other choice.

TIA

Canada  L8E 3C3