[CentOS] OT - parted guidance

Sat Aug 1 22:21:00 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Robert Nichols
<rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 08/01/2015 12:05 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> parted fs resize is deprecated.
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=6837
>> parted fs move can only move a partition into free space
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_node/move.html
>>
>> The thing to do here is use gparted live or Fedora live media and
>> yum/dnf install gparted. It has a move/resize option that will do what
>> the OP wants.
>

> The problem with gparted is that it works only in units of megabytes.
> There is no way to move a partition to a particular sector or, for
> that matter, do much of anything _exactly_.

I'm not sure why granularity finer than 1MiB is necessary. But setting
that aside, with a rotational drive with 4KiB sectors, you're better
off with 1MiB alignment than not being 4KiB aligned at all. Depending
on the drive and workload misalignment can cause a brutally bad
performance hit. And if it doesn't then I wouldn't worry about
changing anything.

--
Chris Murphy