[CentOS] xfs question

Wed Aug 5 09:09:39 UTC 2015
James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca>

----- Original Message -----
| On 8/4/2015 12:47 PM, James A. Peltier wrote:
| > Some older 32-bit software will likely have problems addressing any content
| > outside of the 2^32  bit inode range.  You will be able to see it, but
| > reading and writing said data will likely be problematic
|

| The 99% of software that just does open,read,write will be fine
| regardless of word size.
|
| NFS is the only broken thing I ran into (on CentOS 6 anyways), and then
| only if you export subdirectories in the XFS file system, if you just
| export the root of it, you won't have any issues.    if you are
| exporting subdirectories (something I find Windows admins like to do),
| then you have to specify a locally unique integer fsid on each export.
| I just use fsid=1, fsid=2, ...
|

| --
| john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz

This is not at all our findings on large file systems or filesystems with large numbers of inodes.  We in fact on many occasions ran into such problems.  To the OP, if you're 64-bit everywhere there's no problems so enjoy the benefits of XFS ;)

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca