[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Wed Aug 5 16:37:24 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to upgrade my system from 500GB drives to 1TB.
>
> I'm going to guess that there are no IDE drives that have 4096 byte
> physical sectors, but it's worth confirming you don't have such a
> drive because the current partition scheme you've posted would be
> sub-optimal if it does have 4096 byte sectors.

Oops. I just reread that this is now SATA. New versions of hdparm and
smartctl can tell you if the drive is Advanced Format, and if it is,
then I recommend redoing the partition scheme so it's 4K aligned. And
so that it has an MBR gap. The current way to do this is have the 1st
partition start at LBA 2048.

--
Chris Murphy