[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Wed Aug 5 17:00:12 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:

> On 8/5/2015 12:34 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to upgrade my system from 500GB drives to 1TB.
>>
>> I'm going to guess that there are no IDE drives that have 4096 byte
>> physical sectors, but it's worth confirming you don't have such a
>> drive because the current partition scheme you've posted would be
>> sub-optimal if it does have 4096 byte sectors.
>

> The partition table was originally created by the installer.

Well, the CentOS5 installer and partitioning utility (parted) predate
Advanced Format drives. I'd check to see whether you have such a
drive.

> Version : 0.90.00

Therefore 0xfd is correct.

> I'm willing to give that a try.  The device.map looks good to me:
> (hd0)     /dev/hde
> (hd1)     /dev/hdg
>
> It is old, but the drives are still connected to the same connectors, so it
> should still be valid.

I think you need to confirm that the device.map is correct. I just
don't remember the command to figure out the mapping.

> How would I go about pointing it at the partition?
>
> What I am currently doing is this:
> device (hd0) /dev/hdg
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)

setup (hd1,0)

It's hd1 if your device map is correct and hdg is hd1. And then ,0 is
for the first partition assuming that's an ext3 boot partition.

--
Chris Murphy