[CentOS] why no recent bind update for CentOS 6?

Thu Aug 6 11:01:25 UTC 2015
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 06.08.2015 um 04:59 schrieb Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>:

> We have to modify the source code to remove the branding .. as I
> explained in the other post.
>
> BUT, I do want to point out that the CentOS Team has never said CentOS =
> RHEL.
>
> CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL source code, built in the order that it is
> released by Red Hat.  And we do modify it to meet the Red Hat trademark
> requirements (ie, remove Red Hat branding).
>
> Just because we build the source code in the order that it is released
> does not mean it is an exact copy of RHEL .. and in fact, CentOS Linux
> certainly is NOT an exact copy of RHEL, nor has it ever been.
>
> This is because both build systems (the CentOS one and the RHEL one) are
> "closed systems" and they are certainly not identical.
>
> Why is that?
>
> Red Hat freezes a Fedora tree to start a new RHEL tree at some "point in
> time" and they start stabilizing that tree.  For RHEL 7, that was near
> the Fedora 18/19 time frame.  They remove many packages that they are
> not going to use and they develop a set of binary packages that they are
> going to use as their initial binary tree.  They then spend a long time
> on that tree , building many packages iterations, before they release
> their RHEL public beta.  Just as a point of reference, Fedora 18 was
> released on 2013-01-15 (Jan 15, 2013) and Fedora 19 was released on
> 2013-07-02 (July 2, 2013).  Their RHEL7 initial tree was likely sometime
> between those dates.
>
> RHEL-7 Beta was released on 2013-12-11 (December 11th, 2013) .. so Red
> Hat likely spent somewhere between 4 and 11 months (closer to 11, I
> would think) stabilizing that beta tree.
>
> When they released the RHEL-7 beta on December 11th, 2015, the CentOS
> team had that set of Source Code and binary RPMs and Fedora 18 and
> Fedora 19 to use to do our initial build.  Red Hat had a closed and
> staged build system with any number of intermediary builds in their
> build root, not just 2 fedora builds and the 1 RHEL beta.

Despite the different context I want just to jump in because
some question are not clearly here as we start to migrate our
services to C7 now.

The above mentioned set of source code respectively pkgs are clearly
available for RHEL-6, RHEL-5 and older via upstreams ftp service (as
provided by RH itself). Git.centos.org was communicated as the canonical
upstream for the sources of C7 (not RHEL-7).

Is RH importing the pkgs into the git repository directly?
RHEL-7 vs C7: Are the sources equal or the same?
Are other rebuilders consuming the RHEL-7 sources only via git.centos.org?

Hope that this aren't to many questions at the same time - thanks,

--
LF