[CentOS] CentOS 5 grub boot problem

Fri Aug 7 14:12:52 UTC 2015
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 8/6/2015 5:11 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok.  I'll give that a try tomorrow.  Just a couple of questions.
>>
>> install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 d (hd0,1) /grub/stage2 p
>> (hd0,1)/grub/grub.conf
>>
>> It looks like this mixes paths relative to root and relative to /boot.  Did
>> your test system have a separate /boot partition?
> Yes.
>

>> The --stage2 argument is
>> "os stage2 file" according to my man page. Should this be relative to root
>> even with a separate /boot partition?
> I think it's being treated as a directory because it's going to access
> this stage2 file.
>
>> Also, why are the exact same root and install commands run twice in the log
>> you show?  Is that just a duplicate, or does it need to be run twice for
>> some reason?
> I do not know. The whole thing is foreign to me. But both drives are
> bootable as hd0 (the only drive connected). So it makes sense that the
> configuration is treating this as an hd0 based installation of the
> bootloader to both drives. The part were the stage 1 and 2 are
> directed to separate drives must be the 'device (hd0) /dev/vdb'
> command. Again, I don't know why it isn't either 'device (hd0) (hd1)'
> or 'device /dev/vda /dev/vdb' but that's what the log sayeth.

I tried the grub commands you gave and still got the same results. I
also have a copy of the SuperGrub disc, which is supposed to be able to
fix grub problems.  It can boot the drive, but it can't fix it.  If
nothing else, I guess I could just leave that disc in the drive and use
it to boot the system.

I'm going to do a fresh install to the new drives and see if that works.

--
Bowie