[CentOS] Odd problem with updates to the recent CR

Tue Aug 11 15:43:21 UTC 2015

We started updating via CR over a week ago, before 6.7 was official, and
just today identified an issue.... For (alleged) security, the agency I
work as a contractor for runs SiteMinder, from CA.

#insert rant_against_CA.h

Anyway, starting late last week, we found issues - as in, its process,
which runs under, and is started by, apache, was suddenly pegging a CPU or
so. Trying to stop httpd, that worked... but this idiot process never did
(and it's ugly to clean up after).

What we just this morning found out to be the problem is that some package
seems to change the permissions on /var/log/httpd to 700 from 770. The
result was that this ...thing... couldn't write to its own logs, running
as apache:root, while /var/log/httpd was root:root.

I just did rpm -q httpd --scripts, and that doesn't show anything, so as I
don't know what package did it.... If anyone knows, I'd like to know.

       mark