[CentOS] how do I stop automount of Hitichi Lifestudio USB drive

Thu Aug 13 19:57:19 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:52:26PM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2015, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> >Its not ‘autofs’ specifically (which is a simple thing) but udev
> talking to udisks, allowing your login session to use udisks to
> mount the volumes if allowed by PolicyKit, speaking through dbus.
>
> How do I get the ask-first behavior?
> How do I tell what makes Lifestudio special?
> When I plug in an SD card through a USB adapter,
> something asks what I want to do and lists options.
>
> In case it helps:
> [root at localhost sata400-12-homes]# find / -name '*autofs*'
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-504.3.3.el6.x86_64/kernel/fs/autofs4

As I said earlier, this behavior isn't autofs.  Don't blame autofs.
autofs is a nice tool.  autofs is easy to understand, enable and
disable.

To disable the auto-mounting of USB disks via udisks, you'd need to
set up a custom udev rule.  Of course, it's hard to know which
existing udev rule is catching your disk, as you said, behavior is
different with an SD card than with a USB disk.

For CentOS6, the udev configuration for udisks is:
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks.rules

... while in CentOS7, the udisks2 udev config is:
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks2.rules

You'd put the custom rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/.

These rules depend on the device name, vendor and model ID, drivers
used, etc.  You'd have to write a custom udev rule either for that
particular device, or something more generic for that class of
device.

You might want to consider just disabling udisks{,2} entirely, if you
don't use the features.