[CentOS] Clunky Xorg with latest 6.7 upgrade?

Fri Aug 14 11:51:45 UTC 2015
Bill Maltby (C4B) <centos4bill at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2015-08-14 at 06:39 -0400, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-08-14 at 06:02 -0400, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> > <snip>

> Anyway, logging the user out and back in, the panel shows no checking
> for updates. Ksnapshot selection for the other user still lagging and
> jerky. CPU usage now bouncing 49%-53% with only this message composing
> going on and the other user on the other X session just sitting with
> open terminals and some openoffice spreadsheets open. soffice.bin
> showing about ~9%-~12% CPU usage.

Went and did normal backup/yum update this A.M. And saw kernel and
udev/hal(?) updates and thought maybe it would help.

After doing that, logged users back in and did nothing but top in a
terminal and evolution - Xorg CPU usage running around 1%.

Ksnapshot region selection still lagging big and jerky though.

Then started the normal FF, no trade screens from ADVFN applets or
openoffice spreadsheets yet.

Doing nothing but watch for a minute, Xorg runs around 0.6% and other
things occasionally have higher usage than Xorg. FF CPU usage is
climbing slowly, flopping between 0.9%-1.3% with whatever the open tabs
had in them from last session, but until tabs are accessed the page in
the tab is not loaded so this is likely not the normal usage level yet.

Started on ADVFN applet (java based it looks like) and with no data flow
yet the java is bouncing between 7%-11%, FF around 2%-3%, Xorg still
down around 1% (might go 4% when I'm active with the keyboard,
mouse,  ...). Plugin container for FF around 1% now too.

Ksnapshot region selection still lagging and jerky.

So it would be easy to think some of this A.M.'s updates had a
beneficial effect in one regard, CPU, usage, but not in the cluky
behavior of region selection with Ksnapshot (could be a mouse driver
issue introduced with the 6.7 update?).

But drawing any conclusion would be premature until I've run a normal
day and see if FF keeps increasing in CPU usage like it normally does,
the java applets, once I've several running, do the same, etc., and see
how Xorg CPU usage and region selection with Ksnapshot behave.

I'll wrap up this thread this evening and thanks for your help Gordon!

Bill