[CentOS] wordpess can't connect to DB but mediawiki can

Mon Aug 17 13:53:41 UTC 2015
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

In article <CAOZy0ektHWPfH29gF65RyUX584NHp0km66XiVn9drnig--rF5g at mail.gmail.com>,
Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I actually made some progress on this. The problem was SSL. Once I I took
> the SSL requirement out of the picture for the user everything worked. The
> test php script and the wordpress site both. Originally when I setup my
> wiki it NEEDED SSL. Because there was some sensitive data in it. My
> website, however, is just a goofball toy project of mine. And doesn't
> really need that. But since I have this done for my wiki I was like why
> not? I stumbled getting the mediawiki to connect via SSL. Once I found the
> setting $wgDBssl = true; for media wiki it just worked.
>
> For my wordpress site, I found the setting define('DB_SSL', true);. I set
> that up in wp-config.php. However for some reason that wasn't the silver
> bullet that the mediawiki SSL database setting was ( $wgDBssl = true; ). I
> can understand why my little test script couldn't work with an SSL user.
> But do you have any idea why that wordpress setting won't allow the site to
> connect to the DB? While it may not be of super high importance to have my
> site contact the DB via SSL, it would still be a nice thing to have.

Did it use to work a few days ago? I have a box on which "yum update" installed
a new version of openssl on 14 Aug, and that broke SSL connections for mysql.
I haven't diagnosed it yet, neither by downgrading openssl again to see if it
works, nor by recreating my CA and certs using the newer openssl.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield