[CentOS] C5 recent openssl update breaks mysql SSL connection

Tue Aug 18 08:47:38 UTC 2015
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

In article <55D2174F.70509 at centos.org>,
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 08/17/2015 11:19 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On 08/17/2015 10:57 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> >> I recently applied updates to a CentOS 5 box running MySQL. I've discovered
> >> that the new version of openssl, 0.9.8e-36.0.1.el5_11, breaks MySQL SSL
> >> connections.
> >>
> >> If I rename /lib/libssl.so.0.9.8e and replace it with the old version of
> >> that file from openssl-0.9.8e-27.el5_10.1 (not sure if that is the next
> >> oldest, but it was handy), then SSL connection to MySQL works again.
> >>
> >> I then performed cross-checks using the server with new libssl and the
> >> client with old, and then vice versa. What I found was that it didn't
> >> matter whether the server was started with the old libssl or the new libssl.
> >> In both cases, the mysql client would only connect using the old libssl,
> >> and not when using the new libssl.
> >>
> >> When it works with the old libssl, I can confirm that SSL is in use:
> >>
> >> mysql> \s
> >> --------------
> >> mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.95, for redhat-linux-gnu (i386) using readline 5.1
> >>
> >> Connection id:          2
> >> Current database:
> >> Current user:           root at localhost
> >> SSL:                    Cipher in use is DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
> >>
> >> The error with the new libssl looks like this:
> >>
> >> [root at hostname ~]# mysql
> >> ERROR 2026 (HY000): SSL connection error
> >>
> >> Has anyone else come across this? Is it a bug in SSL? Or a new restriction?
> >> Do I need to regenerate my certificates using the new openssl?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Tony
> >>

> > You should now be using mysql55 on CentOS-5, not mysql-5.0
>
> In case you did not understand my post, here is how one is supposed to
> move from mysql-5.0 to mysql55 and why:
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2013-1329.html
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2013-1330.html

Thanks. I eventually found the more specific link at https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-Migrating_from_MySQL_5.0_to_MySQL_5.5.html

However, the only "why" I could find was "Red Hat will not issue any more
security advisories for the MySQL 5.0 packages (mysql-5.0.* and related
packages). Security advisories will be provided only for MySQL 5.5."
Nothing to indicate that anything in 5.0 is inherently broken. Are there
any more specific reasons? It appears to be working fine.

And is the same true for C6, which comes with mysql 5.1, that one should
use mysql55 from SCL instead? Why, or why not?

Cheers
Tony

--
Tony Mountifield