[CentOS] new laptop: DVD or Blu-ray

Thu Aug 20 11:51:20 UTC 2015
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 07:37:53AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 06:04:03AM -0500, Hal Wigoda wrote:
> > I wouldn't outfit a computer with blu-ray
>
> http://srobb.net/why.mp4

Despite my whimsical reply above, there are some good reasons I wouldn't do
it. (And the person was posting from a phone, so if they dislike typing on
them as much as I do, I can easily understand the brevity of the answer.)
:)

Anyway, I wouldn't use a blu-ray for storage because flash storage can give
you as much space, more cheaply, and far faster. That is, it's going to be
much faster writing to a flash drive or USB connected drive than to a
blu-ray disk.
 As for using for multimeida, the media itself is still expensive, and I
remember the last time I looked into this, it was still problematic to play
it on many versions of Linux. The codecs used to play them probably aren't
completely legal in the US (though that's just my guess, no research--I
just assume that content producers continue to bribe our politicians here).

The only reason I could see to do it would be to watch movies on
blu-ray---see above, last time I checked (which was probably over a year
ago) it was non-trivial whereas it is pretty trivial to watch DVDs on Linux
now.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6