[CentOS] new laptop: DVD or Blu-ray

Thu Aug 20 15:22:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, August 20, 2015 6:52 am, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Marcin Trendota <moonwolf.rh at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Blu-Ray.  I've never used Blue-ray before, so is there some compelling
>>> reason, as a Linux guy, to want to get Blu-ray?
>>>        First of all, is this going to be your desktop or a server? If
>>> the
>>> later, can't see the point for blueray. One of the compelling reasons
>>> against is that only movies use it. Second, it has dmr crap in it that
>>
>> I used to use Blu-Ray as backup device.
>>
>       In that case, the concern about drm is null and void. That said,
> how did that work out for you? I thought about doing that because of
> the sheer capacity but my experience using DL DVDs for backup was not
> as good as the original claims. Retention was not good after a year or
> so, which led me to use hard drives instead with a slow rotation
> policy and keeping hardware to read it (poor man's futureproofing).

I do have BD, external though (USB; Buffalo BRXL-PC6U2 which I would
highly recommend). I use it whenever I need to read [often somebody's else
BD] or write big chunk of data onto something [very convenient dimentions
if you need to send it elsewhere]. I used it to make image of Windows
system my laptop came with (after I added all I may need on Windows), so I
can restore my laptop from that BD. I doubt I will ever need that, as I
wiped the system in favor of FreeBSD (which is single system on my
laptop). I do not use BDs for backups though, I backup everything,
including laptops to bacula backup server.

Just my $0.02.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator