[CentOS] new laptop: DVD or Blu-ray

Thu Aug 20 17:27:10 UTC 2015
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 08/20/2015 10:27 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> I bought a BluRay for my Thinkpad and my Desktop.
>
> Very rarely use them, but on occassion I do.
>
> When I use them, I use them to rip movies via MakeMKV but honestly that
> is the only BluRay use they ever get. And mostly the desktop, the laptop
> doesn't have the memory to encode hi def in reasonable amount of time.

How much memory do you think would be needed to do that?

> Unless you want to rip movies, which may violate certain laws in certain
> geographical locations, there's not any point that I can see.
>
> On 08/20/2015 03:53 AM, ken wrote:
>> One of the build options for a laptop I'm looking at buying is DVD vs
>> Blu-Ray.  I've never used Blue-ray before, so is there some compelling
>> reason, as a Linux guy, to want to get Blu-ray?

Congratulations, Alice.  You're the sole nerd here to mention that this
was possible.  I've never ripped a flick before, but I could imagine
doing it, so it's good to know it can be done with Linux.

I'm suprised no one yet has mentioned authoring movies.  Maybe the
software to do this isn't available for Linux???