[CentOS] CentOS7 KDE - post-boot splash screen

Mon Aug 24 23:00:02 UTC 2015
Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <
> Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:
>
>> On 08/17/2015 04:19 AM, Mike - st257 wrote:
>>
>>> Hello List Members,
>>>
>>> I decided to install C7 KDE on a workstation for a friend of mine. Works
>>> great, but the post-boot KDE splash screen (light blue and has 3 or more
>>> up
>>> ^ arrows that move from the lower center upwards) is a bit of a
>>> frustration
>>> for that person. I've determined that one can press the Escape key and
>>> move
>>> from that bluish splash to the login screen. (And at one point rolling
>>> the
>>> wheel on the mouse worked too, but didn't consistently cause the
>>> transition
>>> from splash to login screen.)
>>>
>>> At this point I think it's more ideal to just disable the splash screen
>>> and
>>> instead have the system go straight to the login screen (where user names
>>> are listed). Can that be done?
>>>
>>> Here's to hoping a KDE user or two on this list knows a solution. ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Since this is pre-login, it's the display manager's splash screen, not
>> the desktop environment's. I'm typing this on a C7 laptop under KDE, but I
>> still use GDM as display manager - and I don't see that splash screen you
>> describe (though I may have configured it away, I can't remember).
>> Which DM are you using?
>>

> The DM ends up being GDM (stock from a LiveDVD install).
> Thoughts?

Update:
So on initial boot I'm seeing that the login list is shown. Once the
display is idle, the bluish splash [0] (with the time in large numbers) is
then present when the display is woke again.

So far perusing the gdm.conf and some GDM config setting documentation
hasn't yielded me any good leads.

Still searching for a solution. Thanks for any suggestions.

[0] http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=300862

--
Mike