[CentOS] Compile for C6 / glibc

Tue Aug 25 23:04:37 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 08/25/2015 05:48 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 25.08.2015 um 19:17 schrieb Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>:
>>
>> On 08/25/2015 07:11 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:
>>>
>>> The support of this vendor (2) is willing to provide
>>> such OS support for there products.
>>>
>>> The same was also offered by a different vendor (1), they just recompiled
>>> there software and gave us the opportunity to test it under C6. Before that
>>> it only was running under Ubuntu. I just was curious about such solution
>>> to give the second vendor a hint (the symptoms are the same).
>>
>> So the easiest solution would be that the vendor (2)
>> build the software on a C6 system. Most likely it will
>> compile fine, and the produced binary will run on C6 as
>> well as more recent distributions.
>

> sure, thats always possible but exist there some backward
> compatibility switch when compiling against a newer glibc?

No, not really.  When you compile a program it LINKS against the
standard c or c++ library.  You have to run it on a c library that has
all the features / functions .. that is WHY it puts the version in.

If you want it to work on CentOS, it needs to be compiled on CentOS ..
pretty simple.

There does EXIST a compat-glibc (or compat-gcc) to run OLDER stuff (ie
things for CentOS-6) on a newer distro (ie CentOS-7).  But those side
load an older version of the libraries for use on the new system.

Technically, if they used the older version of glibc/gcc (and any other
required library links) on ubuntu, you can make things work, but it
would be easier to compile the software on the platform where it is
intended to work.