[CentOS] a peculiar LVM failure on CentOS 6 run as a VMware 5.5 guest

Wed Aug 26 13:47:11 UTC 2015
Leonard den Ottolander <leonard at den.ottolander.nl>

Hello Boris,

On Tue, 2015-08-25 at 15:59 -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:
> We have a Centos 6 VM (64 bit) running on a VMware vSphere 5.5 server. It
> was running just fine until one day I decided to reboot it and it just
> would not boot up. Effectively, dracut failed to initialize the LVM, much
> like under the scenario described here:
>
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/207593/how-to-make-lvms-at-available-boot-kernel-panic-dracut-cannot-find-logical-vo#

Perhaps this is related?
https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2015-1615.html

Prior to this update, using the lvm utility when the persistent cache
file was
outdated caused devices that were stored in the persistent cache to
unintentionally bypass logical volume manager (LVM) filters set in the
LVM
configuration. As a consequence, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization hosts
in some
cases failed to start with an outdated cache file. This update fixes
LVM's
internal cache handling so that the filters are applied properly, and
the
described problem no longer occurs. (BZ#1248032)

Try updating LVM to the latest version and see if it helps.

Regards,
Leonard.