[CentOS] USB Connected Voice Recorders

Thu Aug 27 02:34:16 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 8/26/2015 7:18 PM, Chris Olson wrote:
> We plan to use new digital voice recorders. Products are available
> from Olympus, Sony, and others.  All of these digital voice recorders
> offer file-based audio storage.  We would like to take advantage of
> this feature and move the files to our computers.
>
> It is not clear whether there is a difference in the product features
> described as "USB connection" and "USB direct connection." Is this
> difference in USB connectivity a concern for file transfer to CentOS
> computers?  Thanks in advance for any information.

I have a USB digital audio recorder (hi-fi stereo, not 'voice'), it
records on a 32GB SD card.  I import the audio by plugging the SD card
into a SD reader on my PC and copying the files directly off it.

that said, afaik, "USB connection" and "USB Direct Connection" is purely
a matter of marketing semantics.   hopefully, these voice recorders
present a 'storage device' interface to the host, so it can just mount
them like any other file system, and copy files. if they present a
custom device interface which requires a device specific driver, odds
are pretty good that driver only exists for Windows and maybe Mac OSX.