[CentOS] virt-manager with dhcpd running on same machine

Thu Aug 27 22:27:49 UTC 2015
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 08/27/2015 01:43 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> If I have dhcpd running on my machine,
> and I wish to run virt-manager on the same machine....
> How do I do that - its telling me an error for starting the network
> and the error is that DHCPD is already running - port in use.

I'm mostly sure that if you want to run dhcpd, you just need to turn off
the "default" network and use bridged networking instead.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt.html
(Hasn't really changed)

Under virt-manager, connect to the local host, then right-click on the
local host and open "Details."  Switch to the Virtual Networks tab, and
uncheck the Autostart: On Boot option.

Guests will get dhcp from the bridged network, and will be on the same
broadcast domain as the KVM host.