[CentOS] [OFFTOPIC] integrated LSI 3008 :: number of hdd support

Sun Aug 30 08:13:34 UTC 2015
Adrian Sevcenco <Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch>

Hi guys! Unfortunately there is no offtopic list but the subject
is somehow related to centos as the OS is/will be centos :)
So, under this thin cover i ask :
Is it possible that for a SAS controler like LSI 3008 that in specs
says that : "This high-performance I/O controller supports T-10
data protection model and optical support, PCIe hot plugging,
and up to 1,000 connected devices" in a vendor implementation
(motherboard integrated) to support only 8 (or 16) devices?
The technical support from the OEM told me that "the onboard
SAS controller maximum amount of supported harddrives is 16pcs"
and "if you are planning on using more than 16 drives then you
have to use a PCI-E card based SAS controller with external ports
(which Supermicro does not sell)"
and both statements sound insane to me!
First, because the specs for 3008 says something else and i dont know
how one can artificially reduce the number of supported hdds
(beside the firmware - but why would one do that?) and
the second statement is just hogwash as the externl/internal status of
the ports have nothing to do with the sas cascading and the number of
devices supported!! (and of course is really cheap to convert an internal
port to an external port with a bracket)
So, i ask you guys that have more knowledge and expertise: was this
Senior Application Engineer that answered me a total incompetent?

Thank you!
Adrian