[CentOS] [OT] GNU bc base conversion

Mon Aug 31 16:05:07 UTC 2015
Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 6:55 AM, Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I suppose my only options for this are to use shell functions or write a
> > script using a language that handles things properly (sanely?).
>
> No, there’s a fairly common hack around this problem: ibase=A and obase=A
> *always* means “base 10” regardless of the current base, due to a quirk in
> the way values for these settings are interpreted.  Thus you can always
> force your way back to sanity.

Not sure how this helps me with my most recent example of bin_to_hex where
the ibase within the define clause wasn't honored.

Working with bc interfactively or by piping produce the desired/correct
values.
Testing indicates the ibase is defaulted or overrode as base10 despite what
is specified in the define clause. :-(

> My objection is that this is even necessary in the first place.

Agreed.

--
Mike