[CentOS] 7.2 kernel panic on boot

Thu Dec 3 23:50:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, December 3, 2015 5:24 pm, Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 03.12.2015 um 22:24 schrieb "Phelps, Matthew"
> <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>:
>> CentOS should do whatever RHEL/Upstream does.
>>
>> Period.
>

> I sometimes misguide myself in doing; CentOS = RHEL, but
> the truth is, that CentOS is not exactly the same as RHEL!

Well, in the past when talking to professors I work for, I had to argue
the choice of system I set up on their group servers/number crunchers.
They often prefer what they know works best for their collaborators, which
often is RHEL, or "Scientific Linux". I don't want hassle to maintain
RHEL, and, let's say, I have my opinion about "Scientific Linux". When I
want them to agree to go with CentOS I was usually saying "it is binary
compatible with RHEL". Which though not strictly true, but is very close
to be true, and in one phrase settles the argument. But with all new
different schemes of naming, I avoid saying it now. So, I perfectly
understand the frustration of those who have to explain their managers
version relations etc.

Valeri

>> Why the change now? It really does matter, a lot, to those of us who
>> need
>> to do compliance testing/security checks, etc. all based on "version"
>> number. I know there is no such thing in practice because of all the
>> non-sequential updates that happen, but there's a shit-ton of work that
>> we
>> have to do for each new release, and we have depended in the past on the
>> versions matching the RHEL ones. Now, they don't, and that's wrong.
>>
>> It seems like a minor thing, but in real-world practice it is most
>> definitely not.
>

> As stated by others - this provisioning concept never was supported by
> CentOS.
>
> --
> LF

Valeri Galtsev