[CentOS] google chrome future / centos 7

Thu Dec 17 21:28:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 08:37:32PM +0000, Richard wrote:

> I'm seeing the following banner when I start up google-chrome
> 48-beta (48.0.2564.48 beta (64-bit)) on my 7.2 machines:
>
>    This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates
>    because this Linux system will no longer be supported.
>
> Does this portend a support issue for chrome on centos-7 in a few
> months when the underlying changes make their way into their -stable
> (since, as I understand it/as last I remember, in the centos world
> we don't have benefit of the RH chromium release)?

I can confirm that I see this on RHEL7 as well, with all the latest
updates.

It looks like Google doesn't think RHEL7/CentOS7 is "new" enough to
run Chrome.

I suggest providing feedback to Google, perhaps they might consider
dropping RHEL7/CentOS7 support if they get enough feedback, although I
suspect they really couldn't care less about RPM-based distros, most
of their code seems to be all ubuntu-based.