[CentOS] 7.2 kernel panic on boot

Phelps, Matthew mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 3 13:10:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 5:39 AM, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 11:28:10AM +0100, Leon Fauster wrote:
> > Am 03.12.2015 um 11:08 schrieb Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com>:
> > > I wanted to help you by making sure that you were on the most recent
> > > version, but, looking at the Centos.org website I was unable to figure
> > > out if 7.2 was the tip. 7.1503? Is that 7.2? Beats me.
> >
> > CentOS 7.1511 (aka '7.2') not yet released ...
>
> And the way I'd figure this out from the centos website is?
>
> I mean, I'm used to the concept that CentOS used to say the
> current version is 6.3 when RHEL 6.4 was released but hadn't
> made it through the CentOS pipeline.
>
> But how am I supposed to figure out that CentOS 7.1503 < 7.2 ?
>
> I suppose I should blame myself for not being a bigger ass that CentOS
> didn't adopt my proposal of saying Centos 7.1.1503 vs 7.2.1511. But
> really, does ANYONE think the current scheme is clear?
>
> Anyone?
>
> Bueller?
>
> Am I the only ass about this problem?

You are not the only ass about the problem.

I have complained bitterly about this, apparently to deaf ears.

I dislike this version numbering scheme hugely. The implications to CentOS
not being the same "version" as RHEL is *much* more than just a different
number to those who don't know differently. And those are the people who
make this difference a huge amount of extra work for us.

There's NO reason for this that makes any sense. None.

--
Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility