[CentOS] CentOS 7.2 - no GUI login after upgrade

Earl A Ramirez

earlaramirez at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 02:12:57 UTC 2015

After installing and enabling the centos-release-cr repo on my CentOS 7.1
laptop; I ran yum clean all and yum update. Yum complained about gstreamer1
dependencies that is caused by epel repo; therefore, I excluded it from the
epel repo and run yum update one more time and it went through.

After the update was completed I rebooted the laptop and I will just get
the splash screen but will never get to the actual login screen; I have
experienced this in the past from CentOS 7.0 to 7.1 upgrade and at that
time it was caused by SELinux relabeling some of the configuration files;
e.g. /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. This was discovered after I went into
single user mode and checked the journal.

I booted in the previous successful kernel that loaded and I experienced
the same behavior; therefore I went into single user mode from the latest
kernel that came with CentOS 7.2 and the previous kernel, checked the
journal and there were no errors that give me a hint of what is going
wrong. There are no SELinux relabeling but I left the laptop on for a few
hours because I was modifying a few directories to accommodate docker and
KVM storage from the default setup.

Any pointers on how to get the login screen?

Thanks in advance.

--
Kind Regards
Earl Ramirez