[CentOS] 7.2 kernel panic on boot

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Dec 4 14:03:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, December 3, 2015 14:50, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
. . .
>> That is my main complaint about parallelized boot. My brain is
>> only capable to deal with serial sequence of events, and which
>> next event is deterministically predictable from previous. As
>> with fatal things like kernel panic, it is the previous before
>> the fatalstep is the one that you still can see...
>>
>> It there some way to tell systemd kick in components serially?
>>
>> Severs aside (you can not have everything), this (CentOS 7) is a
>> great system for laptops, the best I saw so far. Like machintosh.
>> Only better.
>
> For laptops, great. For anything else, not so much. For example,
> it's supposed to be an *ENTERPRISE* o/s... why does it
> automatically, without ever asking, install anything wifi? I'm
> still trying to figure out how to tell a *wired* CentOS 7
> workstation to stop even thinking about wifi or wimax, and stop
> cluttering the logs with debugging garbage.

The short answer:  Because RHEL is based on Fedora development.

The long answer:  Because RH believes/believed that the laptop
environment is/was a key part of its growth strategy.  The recent
phenomenon of the widespread adoption of smart phones and tablets in
place of laptops may bring that into question now, but the move to
laptops was a deliberate business choice in my opinion.

It remains to be seen whether or not RH can have its cake and eat it
too.  Sysadmins tend to be rather prickly people when it comes to
people and things that appear to waste their time.  It seems to me a
strategy of dubious worth aggravating ones installed based chasing a
chimera.

However that may be, the world moves on and we perforce move with it
or are left behind.

Canada  L8E 3C3