[CentOS] Centos-7: odd yum output

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Dec 7 02:12:40 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 03:25:52PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> Package 1:totem-mozplugin-3.8.2-5.el7.x86_64 is obsoleted by 1:totem-3.14.3-5.el7.x86_64 which is already installed
> Nothing to do
>
> I don't understand, UNLESS it's saying that the totem package now includes
> the plugin?
>
> OK, I can understand that. But looking at the contents of the RPM, it seems
> to contain only plugins for itself.
>
> I'm just upgrading to 7.x, now, and the 6.x box previously had several
> plugins installed that I can't find, nor even remember where I found 'em.
> (probably has to do with my age... :[  )

The new totem plugin Obsoletes the totem-mozplugin package:

# rpm -q --obsoletes -p totem-3.14.3-5.el7.x86_64.rpm
totem-mythtv < 1:2.91.0-1
totem-upnp < 1:3.1.4-1
totem-jamendo < 1:3.1.4-1
totem-tracker < 1:3.1.4-1
totem-publish < 1:3.1.4-1
totem-mozplugin < 1:3.13.90-1
totem-mozplugin-vegas < 1:3.13.90-1

Its a component in GNOME, and was updated along with the rest of GNOME
in RHEL 7.2 (and subsequently CentOS).  It appears that that in
GNOME/totem 3.14, the mozilla plugin was removed, perhaps because
browsers are dropping NPAPI support.

If the totem plugin *didn't* obsolete the package, you wouldn't be
able to upgrade because there would be missing dependencies.  This is
how RPM handles this kind of situation.