[CentOS] wifi on servers and fedora [was Re: 7.2 kernel panic on boot]

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Dec 7 19:27:21 UTC 2015

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 09:03:50AM -0500, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 02:50:38PM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> > For laptops, great. For anything else, not so much. For example,
>> > it's supposed to be an *ENTERPRISE* o/s... why does it
>> > automatically, without ever asking, install anything wifi? I'm
> [...]
>> The short answer:  Because RHEL is based on Fedora development.
>
> This is roughly true, although "downstream" RHEL makes its own
> decisions about many things. If you (Mark, or anyone else) would like
> to make this different in the future, getting involved with Fedora
> Server is a good way to do so.

Oh, one more thing: as I posted (by request) on Bruce Schneir's blog last
week, one thing that has *always* really annoyed me is when architects or
developers DON'T TALK TO END USERS, but some manager who *knows* what
needs to happen designs the whole thing. Too many times I've seen the end
result: end users, the mass of folks who have to use it, range from
dislike to loathing, and avoid using something that *should* have made
their life easier at work, instead making it *much* harder, until they
have no choice.

I've been pleased that the folks on this list have been solicited several
times in the last six months for our opinions.

       mark