[CentOS] Version numbering vis a vis CentOS and RHEL

Warren Young wyml at etr-usa.com
Mon Dec 7 22:37:27 UTC 2015

On Dec 7, 2015, at 1:52 PM, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 08:57:01PM +0100, Zdenek Sedlak wrote:
>
>> AFAIK, the 7(1503) format is used only on the websites, and internally
>> CentOS uses 7.1.1503. Do you see this as an issue?
>
> Yes. It confuses humans. There have been a bunch of examples given of
> how it confuses humans. A simple fix for this human issue is to use
> 7.1.1503 on the website, here on the mailing list, etc.

And then we’re right back in the same old boat: With every new release, the same old thread will pop up, “How do I make my servers stay on CentOS 7.1?”

Give up on the point release idea.  It’s CentOS 7; there is no CentOS 7.1.  The only reason there’s a YYMM part is that it’s a media respin.  Best ignore that wherever practical.