[CentOS] yum errors

Wes James

comptekki at me.com
Tue Dec 8 03:03:49 UTC 2015

> On Nov 20, 2015, at 11:55 AM, Wes James <comptekki at me.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 20, 2015, at 10:41 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> It should be looking at /6/ instead of a specific point release. We
>> (CentOS) do not provide updates for individual point releases. You are
>> several years behind in security and bug-fix updates. Once a specific
>> minor version is expired, it is moved off the main mirrors and into the
>> vault. The current iteration of the /6/ tree is 6.7, so everything below
>> that is no longer available on the mirrors. Have you modified your
>> repository files or are they stock?
>>
>> I might suggest starting off with a 'yum clean all', then running your
>> query again.
>>

>> On 11/20/2015 11:21 AM, Wes James wrote:
>>> I have inherited centos 6.3 and 6.2 vms in an esxi environment.  When I do
>>>
>>> yum provides ntpd
>>>
>>> on the 6.3 box I get a lot of errors like:
>>>
>>> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto
>>> * base: mirror.unl.edu
>>> * extras: mirrors.cmich.edu
>>> * updates: mirror.steadfast.net
>>> http://mirror.unl.edu/centos/6.4/os/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22
>

> I fixed the problem for now by editing /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repy, commenting out:
>
> mirrorlist=
>
> then finding a local university that has /6/ repo data and uncommenting and using:
>
> baseurl=
>

> I’m not sure why this box was having issues reaching mirrorlist.centos.org <http://mirrorlist.centos.org/> or even tracerouting to it????  It kept getting a different trace than my 6.4 virtualbox.

I finally just did yum update on this box (actually 6.3) and now it is 6.7.  During the update it created a CentOS-Base.repo.rpmnew file.  I renamed my current one and this one to just .repo and  now I again get:

----

yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto
Setting up Update Process
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os&infra=stock error was
12: Timeout on http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os&infra=stock: (28, 'connect() timed out!')
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

——

I thought updating to 6.7 might fix something, but it didn’t help.  Any ideas why it is doing this?

If I go to:

http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os&infra=stock <http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=x86_64&repo=os&infra=stock>

in a browser, it shows a list of repos.

Thanks,