[CentOS] wifi on servers and fedora [was Re: 7.2 kernel panic on boot]

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 20:02:08 UTC 2015

On 12/08/2015 07:46 AM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have been bitten by things done in Fedora that only have any use on
> a laptop and that should never have been allowed into a server
> distribution.  But I cannot see how I would have been aware of them
> until they manifested themselves on equipment under my care.  By which
> time it is rather too late to influence the decision to include them.
> Automatically powering down NICs comes to my mind; due the rather
> nasty consequences that resulted.

Without any references, it's hard to know what you're referring to
specifically.  However, I *think* you're talking about the Intel e1000
ASPM bugs.  Those bugs were in the Intel NICs, and had nothing to do
with decision making in the Fedora project.  If you're convinced that
those features have no business in server class products, then you
should provide that feedback to the hardware vendor who enabled ASPM in
their BIOS (had they not done so, you would not have been affected by
the bug).  I think you're upset at the wrong people, though I understand
your frustration.  I was affected by that bug, too.

If you're referring to something else, I'd be curious to know what it was.

> forcing highly qualified people to expend time, a very
> limited resource in my experience, to learn yet another way to start a
> computer system, without providing any readily discernible benefit to
> them, is not likely to engender much in the way of sympathy.

Well, considerable effort was made to provide discernible benefit. If
you find time to look at it later:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

> We went to RedHat and ended up on CentOS because of its server
> orientation.  Which to us implied something more than simple
> compatibility of the software components.  If RedHats's intent is to
> end up as a laptop distro then we will probably part ways at some
> point.  We have a laptop distro that works well for us. It is called
> OSX.  And the hardware is pretty good too.

I doubt you mean to imply that you'd use OS X as a server.  No one does
that.  Even Apple uses Linux for its servers.