[CentOS] wifi on servers and fedora [was Re: 7.2 kernel panic on boot]

Leroy Tennison leroy at datavoiceint.com
Thu Dec 10 23:05:57 UTC 2015

You think this is irritating, what about when you're trying to replicate the network configuration to failover hardware...  There is a way around this, I haven't tried it on CentOS but on Ubuntu there are kernel command line parameters:

net.ifnames=1
biosdevname=0

which will override this behavior. Again, on Ubuntu these are added in /etc/default/grub as parameters to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.  Finally, there's /udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules which allows you to associate a MAC address with an eth? label.  However, without the command line parameters it is ignored (contrary to other statements on the web ).  Given this is CentOS you mileage will almost certainly vary but hopefully this gives you enough to go on to get to the final solution.  There is a freedesktop.org web page about why they did this - it has to do with mobile devices and plug-and-play networking.  Take that page's statement about setting net.ifnames=0 cautiously, I found it was the exact opposite.  biosdevname is a program written by someone at Dell which is supposed to report on hardware configurations and make some sense out of the cesspool.  It appears the source of the whole thing is hardware vendors doing whatever they want and in some cases not playing by the rules.