[CentOS] CentOS and typical usage

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Dec 13 18:13:20 UTC 2015

On 12/12/2015 08:03 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> I share some of the frustration with Fedora developers "not listening"
> but I don't share all of the frustration.
>
> As far as customizing CentOS / Fedora for server vs desktop vs laptop vs
> whatever, to me that is a moot issue.
>
> In the server environment you almost certainly are using a virtual
> machine, and to use a virtual machine you create an image. Set up the
> image how you want and be done with it, you can then deploy it thousands
> of times and it is set up the way you need it.
>
> I typically use the default image provided by Linode - it is a good
> image for a server, just remember to install the yum-cron package and
> enable the firewall.
>
> I was one of the systemd haters initially but now I don't have an issue
> with it. Yes it is different than what I learned, but once I stopped
> yelling at the kids to get off my damn lawn, it wasn't that hard to
> figure out what I needed to do to get systemd to work for me instead of
> me working against it.
>
> Gnome is the only place where I have serious issue with the direction
> Fedora is going. I loved Gnome 2 but hate Gnome 3 with a passion. I
> tried to love it, but I just can't.
>
> They took away my vertical scroll bars. I understand most people scroll
> with a mouse wheel, but it is really hard to do that from my T series
> thinkpads.
>
> The solution they gave me in the forums involved needing to write some
> CSS stuff - no gui checkbox, I had to create a CSS file.
>
> And even that didn't fully work, some applications still didn't have
> scroll bars. Apparently that's because they weren't "ported" to the
> newer gtk or something. But if that's the case, where adding the CSS
> won't bring the scroll thing back, then they shouldn't lose it.
>
> Fonts - they look horrible to me in Gnome 3 and no setting I could
> figure out made them look good.
>
> Graphics - moving stuff around the desktop really taxed my built-in
> video, what use to be smooth was often choppy, especially on my Thinkpad
> T410.
>
> Totem - for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get it to not be
> full screen.
>
> Switched to mate and all those issues instantly went away.
>
> Gnome3 I think is an area where the Fedora developers are refusing to
> listen, but that isn't really an issue because they do package Mate and
> Mate is in EPEL so I can install it in CentOS and be done with it.
>
> But things like systemd, wireless drivers, etc. - there, I don't think
> there is a good argument because it is easy to set up a system and make
> an image that you then use as your base for creating new VMs for the
> server.
>
> As someone who uses CentOS on the desktop quite a bit, I am glad that
> RHEL / CentOS does pay attention to the needs of use desktop users.
>
> I use to use CentOS on the server and Fedora on the desktop, and then,
> RHEL/CentOS as a server OS made sense to me.

> [...]

Just for the record, CentOS doesn't make these kinds of decisions .. we
rebuild whatever Red Hat releases for soruce code for RHEL.  You will
notice, if you used the CR tree, that the new desktop for 7.1511 (based
on the 7.2 RHEL source code), is a much newer version of Gnome and KDE.

Gnome is now 3.14.x, it was 3.8.x.  KDELibs are now 4.14.x, the were 4.10.x.

So, CentOS does not make and decisions about usability or anything else,
we simply build released source code when it is released .. nothinh
more, nothing less.  (For our core repos)

We do have special intrenet groups, and those can focus on and even
change some areas.  For example, if the community is willing to do the
work, they can ask for and form a Desktop SIG and add items to the desktop.

But I wanted to make sure people did understand that we are not making
content decisions for the core CentOS repos.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes