[CentOS] CentOS 7 (1511) is released

Richard lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
Tue Dec 15 03:52:50 UTC 2015

> Date: Monday, December 14, 2015 20:38:23 -0700
> From: Wes James <comptekki at me.com>
>

>> On Dec 14, 2015, at 4:57 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>
>> wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I just updated to 7.2 from 7.1.  I did lsb_release -a and it
>>> says 7.2.1511.  I haven’t rebooted yet, which items would run
>>> with new binaries, anything that isn’t running yet? Ssay I had
>>> apache running, it wouldn’t pick up new apache until a reboot,
>>> right?
>>
>> I have no idea, but there are security kernel updates:
>>
>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-cr-announce/2015-Novemb
>> er/002347.html
>> <https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-cr-announce/2015-Novem
>> ber/002347.html>
>>
>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-cr-announce/2015-Decemb
>> er/002732.html
>> <https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-cr-announce/2015-Decem
>> ber/002732.html>
>>
>> And those will not be active without a reboot.
>

> Thanks to you and John R Pierce for your replies.
>
> -wes

You can always use the "needs-restarting" script to see what you
need to restart.

[Someone suggested "lsof | grep DEL | grep /usr" as an alternative.
I haven't used that approach or compared it to "needs-restarting" so
don't know exactly which is a better approach.]

With an update from one point release to another I would think that
you'd have a rather unstable system until you do a reboot.