[CentOS] Upgrade from CentOS6.6 to CentOS 7

Traiano Welcome traiano at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:00:46 UTC 2015

Hi Digimer

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
> On 15/12/15 10:43 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:

>>> Given how radically the OS changed, I would strongly advice against it.
>>> The move from sysvinit to systemd alone is enough to recommend against
>>> an upgrade.
>>

>> So it's not possible under any circumstances?
>
> I suppose anything is possible with enough time and effort, but I
> strongly recommend against it.
>
> CentOS is a server OS and as such should be used in a manner that
> provides maximum reliability. An upgrade in general introduces avoidable
> risk. An upgrade from 6 to 7 would induce far more risk than usual.
>
> Much safe to setup centos 7 fresh and migrate services over in a
> controlled fashion.

I'm aware and appreciative of these risks. However, given the unique
situation I need to address, it's worth spending the time needed to
attempt this.
If some tweaking, and a moderate amount of head-wall contact is
required, that's ok.

If there is any method that provides a reasonable approximation of
success, I'd be thankful if you could point me to it.