[CentOS] CentOS 7 (1511) is released

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:04:50 UTC 2015

On 12/15/2015 08:51 AM, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> The change was made years ago. From the lack of screaming, you can
> tell that rpm is being reasonably clever about it.

I can find no evidence that rpm does anything of the sort.  httpd
restarts on upgrade because its maintainers included a command to do so
in the %posttrans scriptlet.

> Apache, for example, checks its config syntax before restarting: man
> apachectl, see 'graceful' and 'restart'.

httpd checks its configuration syntax before *reloading* which is not
what happens during an rpm upgrade.  An upgrade will run "systemctl
try-restart", which stops and starts the service if it is running.