[CentOS] CentOS 7 (1511) is released

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Dec 15 18:57:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 10:04:50AM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> httpd checks its configuration syntax before *reloading* which is not what
> happens during an rpm upgrade.  An upgrade will run "systemctl try-restart",
> which stops and starts the service if it is running.

I can think of another example of a package restarting a service:

The glibc and glibc-common packages run a command called
/usr/sbin/glibc_post_upgrade.x86_64 or
/usr/sbin/glibc_post_upgrade.i686 (depending on whether its an x86_64
or i686 package) in their RPM postinstall scriptlet.

It runs service sshd condrestart if it detects that
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd exists (so, nothing on systemd-based systems).
It also runs 'telinit u' too.