[CentOS] "installation source" specification for netinstall

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Dec 16 02:37:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 08:24:17PM -0500, ken wrote:
> On 12/15/2015 07:39 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> >On 12/15/2015 4:21 PM, ken wrote:
> >>I don't think so.  Go to
> >>http://mirror.teklinks.com/centos/7.1.1503/isos/x86_64/ and see what's
> >>at that URL.  I did try it using in netinstall (just trying
> >>*everything* possible), it yielded the same error  once again... and
> >>there aren't any Packages to be found which would be meaningful for
> >>installing packages.
> >

> >hmm?  thats the directory with the ISO files, the packages are over in
> >../../os/x86_64, here,
> >
> >http://mirror.teklinks.com/centos/7.1.1503/os/x86_64/    in ./Packages/

This one works:

http://mirrors.mit.edu/centos/7/os/x86_64/

I know because I/ve used it for net installs twice in the last
week or two,  most recently a Thursday of last week.

> Believe me, I  wish it  did  work.  I've been at this stupid
> specification which should be easy and done over with hours ago.
> But it doesn't work.

I agreee that it would be nice to have some better doc on how to
choose the URL for a net install, I've stumbled around in the dark
at times past trying to figure it out, too.

but it definitely DOES work if you get the URL right (and if you have
your networking set up correctly, and the mirror isn't broken, and...,
and..., etc.).

Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding