[CentOS] getting Google Earth to work.

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Dec 17 04:00:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:21:37PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 03:14:06AM +0000, Richard wrote:
> >

> > > Date: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 21:30:31 -0500
> > > From: Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> > >
> > > is a continual pain.
> > >
> > > I'm attempting to follow the instructions here:
> > > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1650497&postcount=27
> > >
> > > (yes, I know it's a fedora forum (but the same stupid mistake
> > > persists in the GE packages) but apparently the rpmrebuild binary
> > > is nolonger available, at least not in Centos (specifically,
> > > CentOS-7.2.1511). As I know little about all the various rpm
> > > tools, I don't know how to do what is described there without
> > > rpmrebuild.
> > >
> > > rpmbuild --rebuild seems to ONLY build from a source archive, so it
> > > doesn't seem to do what I need.
> > >
> > > Advice appreciated!
> > >
> > > thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Fred
> >
> > I don't see a "-rebuild" option used on the page you reference.
> > Rather there's "-ep <local-rpm-file>.rpm", shown in "3.". Trying it
> > just now worked. I got a warning on the rebuild, but a new .rpm was
> > generated, which I was able to install and got google-earth to start
> > up.
> >
> > If you follow the link on the second line ("I just had to follow the
> > steps",) at the top of the page you reference, the description in
> > "#32" seems to have all the necessary bits, including a link to an
> > rpmrebuild .rpm that will install on centos 7.2 (aka .1511) system.
>
> yes, I found that rpmrebuild and installed it, and it did what
> I needed.
>
> I was referring to the rpmbuild command's --rebuild option, prior to
> having figured out my misunderstanding.

For any of you who may be wishing Google would release a version of
Earth for Linux that actually works, the recipe on the page referred
to above actually works. I've just gone thru it all and I now have
a mostly-working GoogleEarth.

The only thing I've noticed so far that is still broken is that the
borders around the panorimo images (click on the little blue squares)
is not drawn properly, and you can't see the buttons in the top window
border. but they're still there and work if you can find 'em.

I love playing around in Google Earth. something in the news, or on one
of the Nasa sites that shows earth imagery will pique my interest and
suddenly I've spent a couple hours (or more) looking at stuff in GE.

Fred
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding