[CentOS] google chrome future / centos 7

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Dec 17 22:18:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 04:28:01PM -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 08:37:32PM +0000, Richard wrote:
> >
> > I'm seeing the following banner when I start up google-chrome
> > 48-beta (48.0.2564.48 beta (64-bit)) on my 7.2 machines:
> >
> >    This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates
> >    because this Linux system will no longer be supported.
> >
> > Does this portend a support issue for chrome on centos-7 in a few
> > months when the underlying changes make their way into their -stable
> > (since, as I understand it/as last I remember, in the centos world
> > we don't have benefit of the RH chromium release)?
>
> I can confirm that I see this on RHEL7 as well, with all the latest
> updates.
>
> It looks like Google doesn't think RHEL7/CentOS7 is "new" enough to
> run Chrome.
>
> I suggest providing feedback to Google, perhaps they might consider
> dropping RHEL7/CentOS7 support if they get enough feedback, although I
> suspect they really couldn't care less about RPM-based distros, most
> of their code seems to be all ubuntu-based.

seeing as how they don't seem to give a hoot about Ubuntu either
(based on the gymnastics users need to go thru to get Google
Earth to work on Ubuntu) I'm not sure they care much about
non-chrome Linux distros anyway.

                         God made him who had no sin
                      to be sin for us, so that in him
                 we might become the righteousness of God."