[CentOS] google chrome future / centos 7

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Dec 17 22:53:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 04:34:00PM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Thu, December 17, 2015 4:18 pm, Fred Smith wrote:

> >> I can confirm that I see this on RHEL7 as well, with all the latest
> >> updates.
> >>
> >> It looks like Google doesn't think RHEL7/CentOS7 is "new" enough to
> >> run Chrome.
> >>
> >> I suggest providing feedback to Google, perhaps they might consider
> >> dropping RHEL7/CentOS7 support if they get enough feedback, although I
> >> suspect they really couldn't care less about RPM-based distros, most
> >> of their code seems to be all ubuntu-based.
> >
> > seeing as how they don't seem to give a hoot about Ubuntu either
> > (based on the gymnastics users need to go thru to get Google
> > Earth to work on Ubuntu) I'm not sure they care much about
> > non-chrome Linux distros anyway.
> >

> How not surprising. $$$ is their only concern and has always been.
> Disrespecting open source [everything] whereas benefiting from open source
> themselves could be one of their mottos.

true. every release of GE has the same broken RPM that won't install
without hassles, and when installed doesn't work without further
hassles. thank goodness there's someone who posts regularly to the
GE forums who has figured all this out and posted recipes, in some
cases has even built fixed libraries for ubuntu.

as I posted just yesterday he's also posted a recipe for fixing
the broken installation and then making the result work for some older
Fedora, which also happens to work great on C7.

> This really helps to appreciate companies like RedHat even more...

How true, how true!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?