[CentOS] google chrome future / centos 7

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 18 16:49:57 UTC 2015

On Fri, December 18, 2015 10:27 am, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 09:55:39AM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> <sarcasm>
>> I guess we all are divided into two categories
>>
>> 1. If google [something] doesn't work on the operating system of my
>> choice, the hell with that crap (and google itself).
>>
>> 2. If google [something] doesn't work on the operating system of my
>> choice, I'll use whatever mighty google orders me (even if it is MS
>> Windows ? ).
>>
>> </sarcasm>
>
> Maybe its possible that one works someplace that has all its
> email/collaboration/calendars in a Google Apps environment, and has a
> central IT org saying to use Chrome for services?  Also, having Chrome
> on EL7 was nice because then I didn't have to also track Flash Plugin
> updates.
>
> Last I checked, Google also didn't support the Extended Support
> Release of firefox but only the last two releases, which also causes
> problems.
>
> My concern isn't really for my personal use of the browser.  Its that
> I support classroom and instructional workstations, and not having a
> supported browser is just another excuse for management to get rid of
> Linux workstations and make everyone use Windows.

Yes, I know. This is why I overcame my laziness and did use "sarcasm" tags
;-)

<rant>
Indeed, the first thing that happens, UNIX IT heads of institution are
being replaced with Windows brew ones. Then, most of the central services
are outsourced to external companies. Then all central IT everything is
converted to be using google everything. Then finally, on your UNIX
servers you are forced to figure out what to do with darn winmail.dat
crap... you, who considered even html composed e-mail an offense. But what
I'm complaining about? Even logs on our UNIX machines (sorry, Linux, not
UNIX, that slip was purposeful of course) are not plain ASCII but XML
garbage wrapped...
</rant>

Valeri

> --