[CentOS] playing DVDs on C7

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Dec 18 17:29:05 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 09:32:53AM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 12/17/2015 08:33 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> >Hi all!
> >
> >I'm trying to finish setting up my newly upgraded C7 system.
> >
> >It's on the same hardware I ran C6 on for several years. on C6 I had no
> >trouble playing DVDs (after installing tons of packages and libdvdcss).
> I have found that whether VLC will play a DVD is somewhat dependent
> on the DVD.  I have played DVD's through VLC successfully on my
> CentOS 7 system using the nux package stack, incidentally, but there
> are several DVD's in my collection that will not play with the VLC
> in nux dextop.  But I also purchased (the very first version a
> number of years ago) and keep support updated for the Fluendo
> OnePlay DVD player (fully legal, licensed, DVD playback) and it both
> works perfectly on CentOS 7 and plays those titles that VLC has
> trouble with (like the DVD copy included in the Bluray edition of
> Titanic).

I don't play a LOT of DVDs, but on, e.g., C6 on the same hardware
I don't recall ever having onefail to play with VLC.

In looking at the source package for libdvdcss, last night, I see there
are 3 different ways of cracking the encryption that it supports. The
default one is to try to crack each file's encryption, with the down-side
that it may fail entirely. there is also an option to crack the DISC's
key which can then be used to decrypt each file. from the description
it sounds as if the disc option might be better even though it isn't
the default.

If all else fails I will try hacking around with that option.

> If you want fully legal and fully supported DVD playback, see
> http://www.oneplaydirect.com/oneplay/oneplay-dvd-player/ (which
> features a 30 day free trial so you can test to see if it will work
> on your hardware).  Fluendo also has fully legal codecs for the
> GStreamer framework, and they're not terribly expensive, either.
> I've been using their products for several years, now, and am quite
> satisfied.  The DVD player does install a licensing daemon package,
> incidentally, which is a bit of a new experience on Linux (although
> once was routine on Un*x systems; anyone else remember FlexLM?).

I'll certainly keep that in mind as a fallback position. but I prefer
to  run free software whenever possible, so I'll keep on poking at it
for a while before giving up.

thanks for the idea, though!

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.